Successful for our partners
In 1926 Hans Lehmann has laid the foundation for today's strong company group by starting the "Lübecker Stauereikontor“. Even Today , three generations later, Lehmann family is successfully managing the company in the field of shipping, port operation and ready-mixed-concrete.
Already 75 years ago Lehmann decided to expand, to develop new market areas and respond fast and flexible during the rapid developing world of the late 1920s. The first new business of the company: the trade with coal and fuels.
1952 was a very special year in Lehmann History: Steam Ship DANIA was the first liner since WWII under German flag. Also in 1952 mv Hans Lehmann was ordered as the first own-built coaster. Since then, many more vessels followed them to guarantee best possible service for our customers.
In the same year Lehmann started renting quay facilities for the handling of bulk cargo nearby the former Flender shipyard in Lübeck Herrenwyk. Between 1976 – 1994 Lehmann bought in 3 phases an area of total 50.000 sqm. Since 1996 paper and wood pulp is handled in this area, after a lot of investments in roro-ramp and warehouses infrastructure.
After there was no longer enough storage space available in Herrenwyk, Lehmann acquired the 62,000 sqm site of the former shipyard of Brothers Goedhardt in Lübeck-Siems. Here a new quay with a 10t harbour crane was built and put into operation as Lehmannkai 1 in 1963. Over the years, the Lehmannkai has been continuously expanded with mixing plants for ready-mixed-concrete, a processing plant for sea gravel and an administrative building.
Ever since reliability and quality of Lehmann group has been appreciated by our customers. Since the early 60s gravel, grit and ready-mixed-concrete made Lehmann to be a serious player in the field of business. Cooperation in big projects as building highways or airports became daily business.
1991 - 1995
When in 1991 the "Metallhüttenwerke“ closed, Lehmann took the opportunity to take the lease for the 500 m quay facilities including 40,000 sqm harbour area and started the handling of bulk cargo. Since 1995 Lehmann is the owner of the terminal and all quay facilities.
2004 - 2010
The Lehmann Group continued to invest in all business areas: plants and technology, logistics and team. With new cooperation Lehmann expands its field to the international market while remaining firmly anchored in the region.
The Flender shipyard next to Lehmannkai 2 had to stop its operations in 2004. Lehmann took the chance to acquire the shipyard and developed a roro-terminal on the site for handling ferries to the Baltic States and Russia. On the 30-hectare area, terminal buildings and warehouses were built, as well as large parking areas for trailers and vehicles in addition to a new railway facilities.
In 2010 the next expansion of the port area took place. With the site of the CTL (Container Terminal Lübeck), formerly operated by a Luebeck container forwarding company in cooperation with HHLA, the Lehmann company was able to acquire and develop a further 80,000 sqm modern port area. Today the terminal is the only full container-terminal in the port of Luebeck with two modern mobile harbor cranes, each carrying 125 tons. These cranes offer today also the largest lifting capacity in the port of Lübeck.
From 1956 to 2013, the Lehmann company was also frequently seen in the Liebeck cityscape. With its striking green road tankers, the Lehmann company supplied the Luebeck market with heating and bunker oil for many years.
2013 - 2015
The year 2013 marked a major milestone in the recent history of the Lehmann group. Holger Lehmann sharpened the focus on the core businesses shipping, port and ready-mix-concrete and the peripheral businesses in the mineral and building materials trade were stopped. Since then, the green road tankers supplied private and corporate customers in the name of the Hoyer company.
MV Alessandra Lehmann, MV Lisa Lehmann and MV Siegfried Lehmann were acquired from the insolvency of the shipping company Buss and thus ensured a significant rejuvenation of the Lehmann fleet. Besides MV Mai Lehmann was purchased from TransAtlantic Sweden.
On Christmas Eve 2013, after more than four years, the first container ship docked again at the Cargo Terminal Lehmann and the liner service of the shipping company Containerships started, after the terminal acquisition back in 2010. Initially, only one mobile harbor crane was in operation for cargo handling, but a second mobile harbor crane joined since November 2014.
In February 2015 the next big step towards the future took place: the first train for combined transport entered the tracks at the Cargo Terminal Lehmann and was loaded with trailers that supplied a large food discounter in Sweden. It started with three weekly departures, others followed.
2017 - 2020
The modernization and expansion, both in the shipping and in port operations, was enormously pushed forward. The fleet of the shipping company was again rejuvenated and expanded with the two sister ships MV Ina Lehmann (2017) and MV Heike Lehmann (2020). In addition, the older ships of the fleet were modernized with the latest technology and made fit for a green future.
In the period 2017-2020, enormous expansion areas were acquired for port operations. The former site of the Muehlenkamp scrap yard now closed the gap between Lehmannkai 1 and the Cargo Terminal Lehmann, and the former site of the NWK power plant forms the foundation for the westward expansion of Lehmannkai 1. An additional 270.000 sqm were now available here for the development of future port operations. This mammoth project is being developed under the name "Lehmannkai 1+", for which an application for planning approval was submitted to the responsible authorities in 2020. In addition, two new warehouses with a total of 16.000 sqm of storage space have been built and a total of four handling excavators, a reachstacker, four tractors, eleven industrial trucks and many other devices have been purchased.
In 2019, Henrik Lehmann, the fourth Lehmann generation, joined the company, initially as assistant to the management, in order to take over the company in the future.